We’ve all been there – scrambling to set up your camera timer for epic selfies or a classic group photo, just for it to not achieve the desired result. But did you know that you can also use your smartwatch as a camera remote?
Apple Watch and specific Samsung Watches already have this feature built-in while other smartwatches require you to download a third-party app. It goes without saying that you do need to be within Bluetooth range so your devices can communicate with each other. So without adieu, here’s how to enable the feature on some popular smartwaches:
You can use your watch as a viewfinder when setting up your photo and review it via your wrist after you’ve taken it. You can also use and change up settings like flash, HDR, Live Photo and use Siri as a hands-free option while using this feature.
Taking A Photo:
- Once your iPhone has been set up to take your photo, open the Camera app on your watch
- After the app has been opened, you should be able to see what your photo will look like on your watch display. Get ready to compose your shot
- Use the Digital Crown to zoom in and out
- Tap the shutter icon in the center of the watch display to take your photo
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 & Samsung Tizen Watches
If you’ve got a Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 or Watch 4 Classic, there’s no need to install anything. The Camera Controller app comes preloaded onto your smartwatch. However, if you’ve got an older Samsung watch that runs on the proprietary Tizen OS, you’ll need to download the app.
If you’re a Tizen watch owner:
- Open the Galaxy Store app and search for Camera Controller
- Select Install
- Follow prompts for granting permissions
- When prompted, agree to install the app on the phone the watch is paired to. You won’t be able to use the app otherwise.
Just like the Apple Watch, Samsung’s camera remote will let you review photos on your watch. You can also use the watch as a viewfinder, set timers, and pick which camera you want to take a picture from. Bonus, Samsung’s camera remote feature also lets you record video.
Taking A Photo Or Video:
- Open the Camera Controller app
- Set up your shot
- For videos, switch to Video Mode on your phone
- Tap Capture for photos or Record for videos
Third-Party Camera Remote Apps
If you’ve got a Garmin, Fitbit or a non-Samsung Wear OS watch, you’ll have to download a third-party app to get this feature. As we know, third-party apps are always a hit or miss, but with a little hunting, you might find the right one for you. To find these apps, you can search the Google Play Store, the App Store, the Garmin Connect IQ store, and Fitbit’s App Gallery.
Some Apps To Consider:
- Camera One or Camera Remote for your Samsung Galaxy Watch and Wear OS Smartwatch
- Camera Remote Watch for your Garmin or Fitbit
And there you have it folks! Now you can take your selfie game to the next level. Let us know if there are any other topics you’d like to see us cover!
Source: The Verge